Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Things To Do With Chalk Board Paint


I have been wanting to tackle this project for a long time. I found this awesome frame in a thrift store about 2 years ago and I never could find just the right picture for it.

Then I got an itch to buy some chalk board spray paint, what can I do with that? It says ANY surface, should I paint a whole wall? The refrigerator? The back door? The possibilities are endless.......

But for my first chalk board project, I kept it simple, and where did I put that old thrift store frame?

I found the paint at Home Depot for $ 4.95. You can also buy it in a larger can, but for my project, this is fine. FYI, this product must be bought in the store, you can't buy it on line.

First, I had to remove the ugly old painting (I sure hope that wasn't a rare, priceless Van Gogh!) easily done with my handy screwdriver.


Since the base backing board that was behind the old painting was pretty strong, I just decided to paint right on it.

Make sure you use the spray paint in a well ventilated area, preferably outside!

Hold the can about 12 " away from your surface and spray in even smooth strokes and avoid pooling or dripping paint. It's better to start with a lighter hand and go over it again later.

It says it needs to fully dry for at least 24 hours before you can write on it, but I think it was good to go in less than 10 hours, I get impatient!

I think it turned out super cute! Now, what else can I paint......

No comments: