Thursday, September 27, 2007

Little Sheep


After long anticipation, the new Mongolian hot pot restaurant Little Sheep across the street from me opened this week. I twisted my friend Bill’s arm and made him take me to check it out last night. Much to our delight, it was worth the wait.

We were seated at a table with a flat surface heating element in the center of the table. Being our first time, the waiter graciously helped us with how to order from the check-the-box order form. He suggested that we start with a half and half soup, meaning they bring you a huge pot of boiling soup separated into two parts. On one side of the pot was a complicated but mild broth based soup, and the other side contained a similar but spicy version, very spicy. Since lamb is their specialty, we ordered a plate of that, the premium beef plate, the seafood mix which included at least six varieties, and a mix of vegetables.

After a short wait, platters full of raw thinly sliced, delicately arranged meats and an assortment of seafood complete with eyeballs, legs, and tentacles crawling (almost) off the plate, and a huge bowl of fresh greens filled our table. It sounds like we over ordered, as we often do. However, after it's cooked, everything shrinks so it was really the perfect amount of food. They provide tongs and ladles to dip the raw meats and veggies under the scorching broth for just a few seconds and it was cooked to perfection. My favorites were the lamb and the shrimp, after I took their heads and legs off, and I even liked the oysters.

All in all, the meal was more than satisfying, the service was outstanding, the location couldn't be more convenient and I can't wait to go back to try more, who wants to go with me?

1 comment:

Aunt Deb said...

Tiff, nice review of your new restaurant, but eyeballs and tenacles???? I'll meet you at Red Robin!

Deb