Sunday, July 19, 2009

Escondido Punk Rock Reunion 2009



I admit, I was a little bit nervous about the reunion. After 6+ months of anticipation, and the fact that I haven’t seen most of these people in over 20 years, how could I NOT be? I guess I was mostly worried that I wouldn’t recognize anyone and visa versa. There is nothing worse than throwing your arms open ready to embrace someone who has no idea who you are.

And I was a little worried about what might happen in terms of violence or vandalism. Back in the day, there was quite a bit of that going on when this group got together. In fact it happened all the time. Sometimes in large scale. I better shut up now.

The truth is, once we finally got there, it was just like I saw them all last week (and they remembered me!). It was all I could do to throw my arms around each person fast enough. It was just as warm and comfortable as a typical family reunion. In fact, most of them brought their family’s too. It was awesome to meet everyone’s wives, husbands and kids. We actually grew up and became responsible (somewhat) adults.

I heard several times “I can’t believe how normal every one looks”. Gone are the days of spiked mohawks, studded leather jackets, combat boots and crazy makeup, although I must admit there was a lot of body ink going on. Many shared photos and memory books and the most popular start of conversation was “do you remember when......”

A great time was had by all. It was a beautiful day filled with friends, hugs, memories and long overdue re-connections. I have a feeling this will become an annual event that I don’t want to miss!

No comments: