Wednesday, October 28, 2009
You Will Thank Me For This Recipe
I really can't describe this soup with words. It is quite possibly the worlds BEST soup EVER. Just make it, do it today, you won't be sorry!
Spicy Butternut Squash & Sweet Potato Soup
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 red onion, peeled and diced
* 1 tablespoon ground coriander
* Pinch of red chili flakes
* 3 garlic cloves finely minced
* 1 tomato, blanched, peeled, seeded and diced
* 10 oz diced and peeled butternut squash
* 7 oz diced and peeled sweet potato
* 6 oz diced and peeled carrot
* 1 bay leaf
* 4 cups water (or 2 cups water and 2 cups chicken stock)
* Salt and pepper
* Grated Parmesan
* Fresh parsley, chopped, to serve
In a large thick bottomed pot, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. When warm, add the onion, coriander and red chili flakes. Cook on medium heat, without browning, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft.
Add the garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute, then add the tomato and cook for 2 extra minutes.
Add the rest of the vegetables and cook for 4 minutes, stirring.
Cover with the water or stock. Add the bay leaf and season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.
Remove the bay leaf and purée the soup. Add more stock or water if necessary.
To serve, sprinkle fresh Parmesan cheese and parsley. Enjoy with crusty bread on the side.