Friday, December 28, 2007

Rock the Casbah

My taste in music is a little bit diverse. In 1982 I discovered Punk Rock. I don't know exactly how it started, but it wasn't long before I was hopelessly addicted to the sound, the fashion and the rebellious attitude that was feared and loathed by my poor undeserving parents. It was dangerous and exciting, and it was probably the best time of my life.

My partner in crime in those days was Erin. We literally did some crime, and we had some crazy good times. We managed to grow up, (kinda) lost the mohawk and pink/blue hair, and we both got respectable jobs. Erin moved to London a few years ago but she was in town this year for the holidays.

Looking for something that we could do while she was in town, I ran across the line up at The Casbah. I was thrilled to see "Battalions of Saints", "The Adolescents" and "The Germs" playing together December 27th.

Granted it has been a few years since I have been in the scene, but some things just don't change. It felt like I had never left. Of course most of the crowd and the the guys (and girl) in the bands were a little bit older, but the energy was still vibrant and raw. Although I didn't make it into the mosh pit, I couldn't help but to scream along to the lyrics, jump around, and shake my fist in the air like I had something to be really pissed off about. And I did get to push a few people!

I have to say it was the Adolescents that made my night. They did not miss a beat and they played all my favorites. The Saints set list also took me back in time. As a local San Diego band I snuck into a few of their gigs over the years. It was awesome to see The Germs for the first time. With the exception of Darby Crash, they pretty much still have the original lineup. Although I still love my jam bands, my classic rock, and alternative music, there will always be a place in my heart for all things punk.

No comments: