Monday, April 7, 2008

Adventures in New York

Have you ever had one of those vacations that you don't want to take a shower when you get home because it will somehow wash away the experience and signify the end of a beautiful thing? I had one of those vacations. It was so hard to leave New York this time, if I wasn't in love before, I am for sure now.

Even though the forecast was for a cold and rainy weekend, after a little drizzle Friday morning it cleared up and turned out to be gorgeous. I stayed in Copaigue on Long Island, previously occupied mostly by Italian-Americans, it's now a cozy little suburb with a lot of Polish-American residents.

It's about an hour train ride into the City. On Friday afternoon Tom and I met up with my friends John and Helena at their absolutely incredible apartment/condo on Fifth Ave in the Village, just a block or two from Washington Square Park. I can't believe I didn't take any pictures when I was there, it was very impressive. We had just enough time to grab a quick bite at a new sushi restaurant in the neighborhood, I think it was called Aja, pretty good.

From there we took the subway to 175th Street via subway to get to The United Palace Theater where we met up with Tom's roommate Doug, and where we would ultimately see Widespread Panic. It was John, Helena and Doug's first Panic show, so it is always extra fun to turn newbies into "spread heads"! Click here for a separate post about the actual show(s).

The rest of the night was absolute bliss. The United Palace Theater was incredible, the show was beyond awesome, I was with good friends, I couldn't of asked for anything more. I also must mention how cool NY concert goers were. I have been to a lot of shows but this was my first on the east coast, and I can't get over how friendly people were. A very different vibe, but I liked it.

After a very late night, we managed to get up and headed over to Central Park. Actually we intended to check out the museums, but the weather was so nice we just hung out in the park. I'd never been to Strawberry Fields, and also across the street is the Dakota, where John Lennon lived and died, and Yoko still lives. We hiked through the infamous "Ramble" (even saw some police activity), and then we found a quiet place in the sun to just chill out and did some people watching.

After a great southwestern diner and margarita's at Cilantro's, I took my first cab ride in NYC to the United Palace Theater for the second WSP concert. They said the Saturday night show was sold out, but it seemed to me a lot more crowded on Friday night. Anyway, the show again did not disappoint, a magical wonderide. I danced all night, even if I was deliriously exhausted.

On my final day in NY, we headed out to Jones Beach so I could see the Atlantic. I don't understand why they have a gigantic pool right next to the beach, but what do I know? There was a biting cold wind blowing, so I took a few pics and got back in the car, but it was cool to see. Speaking of pictures, my new camera did a great job, I have some pretty good stuff here, please check out the whole album here.

So, I am home again. Trying to adjust to pacific standard and life in San Diego. I suppose I will have to take that shower and look towards tomorrow. Until my next adventure...

1 comment:

John said...

You went to the Rambles? Shortly after I moved to NY in '95, I was exploring the park on bike and stumbled upon the rambles. I kept seeing well dressed young men, in the trees off the path, all by themselves, sitting on a rock or leaning against a tree, not doing anything. Just standing there all by themselves. It was very peculiar. I asked someone what was going on and they told me that if I gave them money they would... well... let's just say I don't go riding my bike through there anymore.