Monday, September 1, 2008

Radiohead in Santa Barbara



I declined invitations to go see Radiohead here in San Diego last week so that I could take a couple of days off work and go see them up in Santa Barbara. A Thursday night concert turned into a fabulous long weekend.

It was my first concert at the Santa Barbara Bowl so it hard to done right. I was extremely fortunate to have been invited by my cousin and her husband to attend the concert and stay at their incredible home for a few days.

There’s a long story, but here’s the condensed version. I caught a ride with die-hard “Radio-heads” Shannon and her friend Elizabeth, who are just awesome people. They have been traveling the world to see Radiohead for years, (this was their fourth show of the week) being my first show, they gave me all the information I needed to know, and then some!

The SB Bowl was very impressive. The rustic surrounding and natural backdrop was perfect for a late summer concert. It didn’t hurt that our seats were dead center and right at the railing, they could not have been better. The layout and the acoustics in the bowl were obviously well designed, the sound was just right.

For my first Radiohead show, I thought they were incredible. I love the variety of sounds and instruments the band plays and how Thom Yorke uses his voice as an instrument, a beautiful instrument. They are all very talented musicians, I look forward to seeing them again someday.

As usual, the rest of the weekend was filled with great food and LOT'S of great wine and hospitality. We were even treated with a special behind the scenes tour and candid conversation with the great Pinot Noir maker Chris Whitcraft of Whitcraft Winery.

There was a good deal of indulgences this weekend. I love Santa Barbara and I can't wait to go back!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tiffany, here's a link I thought you might be interested in hearing even though you were there.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=94315732
I'm trying to remember what internet surfing venture led me to your blog but i'm glad i found it. I share the same taste in music so i'm sure it had something to do with that. I check in every now an again to see what you've been up to. No, not in a wierd sicko way but in a courious way. I'm going to be at the Street Scene soon and thought it would be cool just to say hi. A friendly hi, not one to make your boyfriend jealous. Anyways; enjoy the link, you probably already knew about it.
Robert -- Jambase id:ace2002 be a friend.